Monday, November 23, 2009

Broken Glass and a Savior's Love

This morning I shattered a glass on the kitchen floor. That is a big deal, because I have a two and a half year old and an eight month old, and they are all over the floor, all the time.

I shut them in the bedroom together (never sure if that's a great idea!) and got out the vacuum to try to get all the shards.

As I vacuumed, I began to pray, "God, if there is any of this glass I miss, I ask that you'd let me step on it rather than them."

And it occurred to me...

God's love for us is like that.

His love is so intense that He's taken the suffering for us. He knew there was no way we could avoid the broken glass of our sin, and rather than leave us to ourselves, He came and suffered in our place. He took our pain, humiliation and suffering on Himself as Jesus bore our sins in His body on the cross (1 Peter 2:24).

How He loves us.